Trying out a juice cleanse detox seems to be all the rage these days, but just how healthy is it? As it goes with most things, there are certain juice cleanse pros and cons worth considering before getting started. Ultimately, it’s important to remember that health is the primary goal here, so any plans for detoxing should be discussed with a doctor prior to the cleansing period.
- Fruits and vegetables are loaded with vitamins and minerals
- Weight loss comes easier and with less bloating
- Cleansing helps the liver process and eliminate excess toxins
- The body loses vital fats and proteins necessary for proper functioning
- Certain side effects such as dizziness, headaches, and digestive irregularity may occur
- There is no scientific foundation to prove that a juice detox can positively impact overall health
After weighing the pros and cons and you come to the conclusion that perhaps a juice cleanse detox sounds worth a try, here’s a deliciously easy 5-day plan to follow.
Ingredients (1 drink per serving):
- 12-16 oz glass of water
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Manuka honey
- Your choice of 2-3 juiced fruit and/or vegetables
- Day 1: Pre-cleanse by eating plenty of healthy produce and avoid packaged or processed foods.
- Days 2 – 4: Mix all the ingredients into a glass of hot or warm water. Drink 6 glasses spaced evenly throughout the day.
- Day 5: Post-cleanse by slowly working small portions of easily digestible food back into your diet. Stick to easy foods like yogurt and soup and avoid heavy carbs like bread and pasta.