There is nothing quite like the feeling of achieving the beloved “runner’s high.” It’s that awesome moment when the body pushes past its own limitations and suddenly everything just feels wonderfully magnificent. Through deep breaths and sheer cardio endurance, a sense of euphoria can be felt throughout the whole body and mind. One of the best ways to achieve this wonderful feeling is by participating in a 5K or marathon. Not only will you feel great physically, but you’ll also feel incredibly proud of your big accomplishment after reaching the finish line.
Ready to get your run on? We’ve compiled a list of the best running races in 2017.
- Color Fun Fest 5K Run/Walk: Also known as the “happiest 5k on the planet,” this nationwide run/walk event pours powdered colors over participants as they run through fun-filled color stations and glowing black lights. 100% of proceeds go to benefit children through Just Care More.
- San Diego Half Marathon and 5K: People from all over the country flock to San Diego to participate in the annual half marathon. It’s an excellent opportunity to take in the sights of the city as well as the Pacific Ocean while supporting local causes. Hit the Gaslamp District afterward for a lively day of fun, friends, and free beverages.
- The Warrior Dash: Held in several cities across the U.S., this run is for anyone who loves a good challenge. Be prepared to brave obstacles like fire, water, and mud while competing in this popular 5K that has everyone testing their limits to the max.
- Divas Half Marathon and 5K Series: This festive event is held specifically for women year-round across the U.S., placing emphasis on its “glam” theme as contestants don pink tutus, bejeweled tiaras, and other cute princess-like attire. Afterwards, cool down with some complimentary bubbly; you’ve earned it!
- The Hip Hop Run: Love music and hip hop? Catch live musical performances at this challenging endurance race that celebrates cultural diversity by bringing together different communities throughout San Diego, Houston, Chicago, Oakland.
- 5K Run Dead: This kooky zombie-themed 5K has everyone running for their lives in Washington D.C. this year. Runners are encouraged to wear creepy makeup and tattered clothes as they compete for spooky prizes, with proceeds benefitting Alzheimer’s and cancer research.
- New York City Marathon: NYC’s annual running event is one of the largest marathons in the entire world. Join over 50,000 people from all over the globe as you run through all five boroughs of this spectacular city.